Home » Discussion Posts

Discussion Posts

Lorde Discussion:

In the article “The Uses of Anger” by Audre Lorde, she uses her list of bullet points and her repetition of her response to racism is anger, helps me understand her argument and the point she is trying to get across. She mentions in the beginning the list of bullet points she was going to say but before she had proceeded she had mentioned that these examples she was going to list were just a few of the many she could talk about. The effect of including the bullet points in her argument served well in setting the tone of her argument. Each bullet point recalled an incident in which a colored person was disrespected and how it doesn’t just come for adults it also affects children who are of color. What I noticed from this is, that the examples she used all came from women, the same sex as her but not the same race. She mentioned how white women wouldn’t be able to under her anger even though they are women just like Lorde. In Lorde’s presentation she recalled a event in where there was a conference that was being set for responding to racism but yet no people of color couldn’t attended this event because they couldn’t afford it, “ Yet the National Women’s Studies Association here in 1981 holds a conference in which it commits itself to responding to racism, yet refuses to waive the registration fee for poor women and women of Color who wished to present and conduct workshops. This has made it impossible for many women of Color – for instance, Wilmette Brown, of Black Women for Wages for Housework – to participate in this conference” One can understand why she is upset, how would people who have the least bit idea of what color people go through and the discrimination they face be able to solve the problem of racism ?

Lebron Discussion:

The genre of the article “ Black Panther is not the movie we deserve “ by Christoper Lebron is an opinion editorial. Even though the article does have a few information that is considered facts, he is only using it to support his opinion on why Black Panther isn’t the movie most people think it is. His audience would be the people of color or anyone else who think that the movie Black Panther is breaking barriers in racism. Throughout Lebrons article he does an in depth analysis of the plot of the movie, he points out that he understand why people think its a amazing movie but he argues with how he sees it from his point of view, “ But the lessons I learned were these: the bad guy is the black American who has rightly identified white supremacy as the reigning threat to black well-being; the bad guy is the one who thinks Wakanda is being selfish in its secret liberation; the bad guy is the one who will no longer stand for patience and moderation—he thinks liberation is many, many decades overdue. And the black hero snuffs him out.” During the time that this article was published, Donald Trump was president and from what I took from this article is that Lebron believes that the black panther movie somewhat supported the former president views on people of color.  Lebron argument isn’t very persuading to me, I do think any movie can be interpreted in any way which is why I would label this article an op-ed.